25 Feb Sunday’s Secrets: Do it Yourself
Self care can be daunting. What is it? Do I have time for it? Better question, do I have MONEY for it? Self care doesn’t have to be expensive or require much time— it’s a unique experience tailored for you, by you. It’s a necessary investment in one’s self. This could mean a vacation, taking extra time in the morning to meditate, or working out.
For me, skincare is part of my self care regimen. It’s relaxing and also allows me to spend intentional and focused time on myself. I love getting facials, I somehow always feel more refreshed afterwards. However, lately, due to my travels, I’ve been skipping my esthetician visits.
A missed trip to the spa doesn’t mean a missed facial though. I teamed up with We Are Onyx to bring the girl on the Go (& the girl on a budget) this facial in a box. I specially curated this box with the intention of giving you a push towards some self care & skincare. We don’t all have the funds or time to invest into a facial, but hopefully this box will bridge that barrier. Below is a step-by-step guide to how I give myself a facial at home.
- I set the mood. I turn on some music— sometimes is yoga music….sometimes it’s trap music., just depends on my mood. I set my phone aside. I light a candle. These next few moments are all about me.
- Wash my face- The first step in any facial is to wash your face. You want to clean away any dirt, oil, or makeup from your skin. I chose to include a cucumber & chamomile face wash in the box because it’s both hydrating and calming— perfect for all skin types, even sensitive ones.
- Scrub. A scrub is used to gently exfoliate the skin. It helps remove dead skin cells, dirt, and aids in cleaning out pores. It also helps improve the texture of your skin and slows down the aging process. The one I chose has calendula in it which has anti inflammatory properties—it stimulates healing and has been known to reduce the visibility of hyperpigmentation. The scrub also contains cranberry which is a super antioxidant— it helps protect the skin from environmental stressors.
- Steam. This is a step most people skip or don’t even know about. I steam my face once a week or more. This is one of the reasons my skin is always so “glowy”. Steaming your face cleans out pores. Clogged pores contribute to acne, blackheads, and skin irritation. It helps remove toxins, and enhances circulation which makes your skin look all dewy. Steaming your face also makes the skin more receptive to treatments. All those oils and creams can’t work if your pores are full of gunk. There is a pack of facial steam included in my curated We Are Onyx Box that has a ton of herbs that are beneficial to the skin.
- Mask. The perfect time to apply a mask is directly after steaming, when your pores are open. I chose a detoxing clay mask for this box because it works well with all skin types. If you have oily skin I suggest using the mask with water to get some of that oil out. If you have drier or sensitive skin, I suggest mixing the mask with honey. You still get the detoxing of the mask, but it won’t dry your skin up or be so harsh.
- Splash of cold water. Once you rinse your mask off splash your face with cold water. Yes, it will be uncomfortable, but it closes those pores back up.
- Apply a moisturizer.
- Go look in the mirror and remind yourself of how beautiful you are. Never forget this step— it’s the most important one of all.
To get your Vic Styles Onyx Box simply CLICK HERE. Order a box from the site, and out the code 01VIC in the coupon code at checkout. You will receive my specially curate box AS WELL AS a completely different box free of charge. So you’ll be getting 2 boxes for the price of one, which is over $150 worth of beauty goodies.
Remember to never forget to invest in yourself: be it time, money, or energy… you are well worth it.